Caracas Simon Bolivar International Airport

Civil aviation in Maiquetia International Airport "Simón Bolívar" dates from 1912, when an aircraft of Pan American Airways (PAA) landed on a makeshift runway strip at Cabo Blanco (known hospital for patients with Hansen), located in the vicinity Below Mare sector. In the mid 20s, this land, owned by the Luy family, were leased by the U.S. company at the rate of PAA thousand bolivars a month to serve as a landing strip for flights carrying passengers, cargo and mail. These spaces, more than 6 kilometers long, were the only ones in the region where they could settle large aircraft for its time, as the S40, Boeing, Douglas DC-3, DC-4 and Lockheed 10 (brought for the first time the country by Aeropostal). On Saturday, October 4, 1930 occurred the first landing of an aircraft in regular service, marking the birth of international civil aviation in Venezuela. A leading air terminal In 1938 the family Luy ceded their land to the Government for 200,000 bolivars and Congress authorized the Republic (the May 7, 1938) a three-year plan for 365 million bolivars to modernize the airport premises Maracaibo, Maturin and Maiquetia. Between 1942 and 1944 he began the construction of the modern building in Maiquetia, under the direction of architects and engineer Luis Malaussena Carlos Guinand. The rationale for the project was "to build a modern airfield and acceptable specifications." For the 50s, had extended its main Maiquetía runway (08-26) to 2,100 meters, because the original (1.400m) was insufficient for modern aircraft operations worldwide. It became necessary to create new buildings and acquire better equipment to optimize aeronautical. In the late 70s, the terminal was designed by Luis Malaussena collapsed and was devising a plan to descongestionarlo. Technical rooms Airports Division of the Ministry of Public Works (MOP) finished building a temporary terminal for the arrival of international flights. The architect Felipe Montemayor, as head of the Division of Research and MOP Projects designed the new structure, the investment required for 20.4 million bolivars (including roads, parking lots and seven aircraft positions). In 1970 was opened to travelers and offered a decent, practical and functional elements that are consistent with the times. Currently is home to the auxiliary terminal. Consolidating the infrastructure of the country's main airport About a detailed study raised two phases to the Master Plan, which was subsequently renamed Maiquetía Project. This would be implemented gradually, as increased traffic projected for the next decades. Posed to create an infrastructure that join their new domestic and international terminals with an administrative building. The initial phase was conducted between 1971 and 1974 over an area of ??20 thousand square meters, whose total investment was 800 million bolivars. Similarly, erected the Control Tower, Aeronautical, facilities, access roads and services, fuel storage and distribution, as well as a cargo terminal and a provisional permanent. At that time, the Independent Institute Maiquetia International Airport (IAAIM) would be created by law, an August 4, 1971, promulgated by the National Executive on August 16 of that year, to govern the air terminal. Their offices were where currently operates Instruction Center Airport Security. On November 28, 1972, according to presidential decree, Maiquetia International Airport would be called "Simon Bolivar". That same year the track opened 09-27 (3,500 m) and acquired all communication and navigation equipment necessary for the time; including Range Very High Frequency Omni-directional Range (VOR), Instrument Landing System (ILS ) and Faro nondirectional beacon (NDB). For 1978 would be operating the new international terminal, which allowed mobilize infrastructure that year 4,983,249 passengers (2,789,727 in domestic traffic and 2,103,522 in international traffic). In March 1983 the domestic terminal was opened in January 1984 and the administrative headquarters of IAAIM, which currently has about 3,000 workers. Modernization final Maiquetia Airport The consolidation of the Master Plan to the modernization and expansion of airport infrastructure, according to the canons of international, started in 2000 after the Government approved its implementation. Maiquetía Project was divided into three phases. The first was based on the construction of a building of 10,000 m2 in levels III and IV of the international terminal, where they set up a room hosting a set of passenger and commercial dealers, including a Food Fair. It was opened to the public in June 2002. Its second phase involved the separation of passenger flows in the international terminal. A boarding area (Level II) and landing (Level III) to ensure greater safety and comfort to the traveler. Equipped with commercial dealers, restaurants, duty free shops and VIP lounges. Service was activated in June 2005. The third phase expanded operational capacity of three new international terminal position (26, 27 and 28), providing the ability to serve up to two thousand 500 extra passengers a day. At present, is kept running to build a five star hotel near the airport terminal and important works to consolidate its position as a leading international airport, which currently mobilizes 9 million people annually.

Published
Caracas Simon Bolivar International Airport
Location: Caracas, Distrito Capital, Venezuela
Languages: English, Spanish
Description: Civil aviation in Maiquetia International Airport "Simón Bolívar" dates from 1912, when an aircraft of Pan American Airways (PAA) landed on a makeshift runway strip at Cabo Blanco (known hospital for patients with Hansen), located in the vicinity Below Mare sector. In the mid 20s, this land, owned by the Luy family, were leased by the U.S. company at the rate of PAA thousand bolivars a month to serve as a landing strip for flights carrying passengers, cargo and mail. These spaces, more than 6 kilometers long, were the only ones in the region where they could settle large aircraft for its time, as the S40, Boeing, Douglas DC-3, DC-4 and Lockheed 10 (brought for the first time the country by Aeropostal). On Saturday, October 4, 1930 occurred the first landing of an aircraft in regular service, marking the birth of international civil aviation in Venezuela. A leading air terminal In 1938 the family Luy ceded their land to the Government for 200,000 bolivars and Congress authorized the Republic (the May 7, 1938) a three-year plan for 365 million bolivars to modernize the airport premises Maracaibo, Maturin and Maiquetia. Between 1942 and 1944 he began the construction of the modern building in Maiquetia, under the direction of architects and engineer Luis Malaussena Carlos Guinand. The rationale for the project was "to build a modern airfield and acceptable specifications." For the 50s, had extended its main Maiquetía runway (08-26) to 2,100 meters, because the original (1.400m) was insufficient for modern aircraft operations worldwide. It became necessary to create new buildings and acquire better equipment to optimize aeronautical. In the late 70s, the terminal was designed by Luis Malaussena collapsed and was devising a plan to descongestionarlo. Technical rooms Airports Division of the Ministry of Public Works (MOP) finished building a temporary terminal for the arrival of international flights. The architect Felipe Montemayor, as head of the Division of Research and MOP Projects designed the new structure, the investment required for 20.4 million bolivars (including roads, parking lots and seven aircraft positions). In 1970 was opened to travelers and offered a decent, practical and functional elements that are consistent with the times. Currently is home to the auxiliary terminal. Consolidating the infrastructure of the country's main airport About a detailed study raised two phases to the Master Plan, which was subsequently renamed Maiquetía Project. This would be implemented gradually, as increased traffic projected for the next decades. Posed to create an infrastructure that join their new domestic and international terminals with an administrative building. The initial phase was conducted between 1971 and 1974 over an area of ??20 thousand square meters, whose total investment was 800 million bolivars. Similarly, erected the Control Tower, Aeronautical, facilities, access roads and services, fuel storage and distribution, as well as a cargo terminal and a provisional permanent. At that time, the Independent Institute Maiquetia International Airport (IAAIM) would be created by law, an August 4, 1971, promulgated by the National Executive on August 16 of that year, to govern the air terminal. Their offices were where currently operates Instruction Center Airport Security. On November 28, 1972, according to presidential decree, Maiquetia International Airport would be called "Simon Bolivar". That same year the track opened 09-27 (3,500 m) and acquired all communication and navigation equipment necessary for the time; including Range Very High Frequency Omni-directional Range (VOR), Instrument Landing System (ILS ) and Faro nondirectional beacon (NDB). For 1978 would be operating the new international terminal, which allowed mobilize infrastructure that year 4,983,249 passengers (2,789,727 in domestic traffic and 2,103,522 in international traffic). In March 1983 the domestic terminal was opened in January 1984 and the administrative headquarters of IAAIM, which currently has about 3,000 workers. Modernization final Maiquetia Airport The consolidation of the Master Plan to the modernization and expansion of airport infrastructure, according to the canons of international, started in 2000 after the Government approved its implementation. Maiquetía Project was divided into three phases. The first was based on the construction of a building of 10,000 m2 in levels III and IV of the international terminal, where they set up a room hosting a set of passenger and commercial dealers, including a Food Fair. It was opened to the public in June 2002. Its second phase involved the separation of passenger flows in the international terminal. A boarding area (Level II) and landing (Level III) to ensure greater safety and comfort to the traveler. Equipped with commercial dealers, restaurants, duty free shops and VIP lounges. Service was activated in June 2005. The third phase expanded operational capacity of three new international terminal position (26, 27 and 28), providing the ability to serve up to two thousand 500 extra passengers a day. At present, is kept running to build a five star hotel near the airport terminal and important works to consolidate its position as a leading international airport, which currently mobilizes 9 million people annually.
Website: http://www.aeropuerto-maiquetia.com.ve
Telephone: Office: +58 2123551227 (Landline)
Products/Services: Airports